SPU’s service goes beyond providing electric and water utilities in our community, which is why we work so closely with our schools.
We extend our resources and knowledge to partner with our community schools and local organizations. These collaborations provide hands-on, interactive learning opportunities that inspire our youth and make a positive impact within our own neighborhoods.
- EcoCenter at the Shakopee Senior High School
- Solar Panels at Red Oak Elementary
- SHS Engineering Class
- Energy Park Tours
- High School Tours/Career Opportunities – Shakopee Energy Park
- Grade School Tours – Faribault Energy Park
- SPU Service Center and Facility Tours
- Scouting Troops
- K-5/Junior High/Senior High
- SHS Academies Industry Council Member
SPU, the City of Shakopee and the County work together to enhance to this great community we serve.
- Major projects, such as street reconstructions and water main work, are coordinated to be fiscally responsible and minimize customer inconveniences.
- When needed, SPU provides resources and equipment to assist the City with projects and community enhancements, such as the land and water for the Community Gardens on 10th Avenue; installing water lines for the Scenic Heights Park Edible Landscape and running water lines for a drinking fountain at the Skate Park. The combined efforts of the City and SPU are having a positive impact on this great community!
SPU also partners with our power provider, Minnesota Municipal Power Agency (MMPA)
- MMPA Wind Turbine – located at the SPU service center, this turbine contributes to our renewable resource goals with local wind generation.
- Shakopee Energy Park – a 46-megawatt generation facility in our own backyard provides a long-term energy supply asset for Shakopee with local interconnection that avoids high voltage transmission costs and increased local reliability during times of peak energy use.