Phone scammers are very convincing. To protect yourself from a fraudulent solicitation, note the following unique identifiers that will separate SPU from a false caller.
1. Does not disconnect customer power after 2:00 p.m.
2. Does not disconnect customer power on a holiday or a weekend
3. Does not require you to pay while on the phone to avoid immediate disconnection
4. Does not ask you to purchase a gift card, a VISA card or pay by VENMO to make your utility payment over the phone.
1. Should not make a payment under duress
2. Should not use a non-SPU method of payment
3. Should not hesitate to call SPU for confirmation or utilize eBill to verify your account status