What You Need to Know About EV Charging with SPU
If you’ve already purchased an EV – or are just wanting to learn more about how it works – you’ve come to the right page.
Here’s how you can get started enjoying the benefits of SPU’s reduced EV charging rate.
SPU’s Residential EV Charging Rate requires a separate meter.
- The EV meter cannot be wired from/through your existing electrical panel
- The EV meter cannot be wired from the load side of your existing electric/house meter
Select a qualified electrician and follow the electrical installation requirements.
- Step by step instructions for this process can be found here
Because EV Charging requires a separate meter, you will need to apply for Residential EV Service.
- Apply here
SPU will install the EV Meter after electrical wiring is completed and approved by an Electrical Inspector.
- An $85 meter fee is required to be paid prior to installation of the EV Meter
Once your EV meter is installed and service application is received you may begin realizing immediate savings by charging during SPU’s discounted window.
- Between 10:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. your EV Charging Rate is only $0.057/kWh*
- Be sure these hours will work with your desired charging schedule – charging on the EV Meter outside these hours is $0.25/kWh*
If you have additional questions you may contact our Engineering staff by email
*Service charge, power cost adjustment, relocation underground and conservation program charge are applicable to your monthly billings. See SPU Electric Rates.